Want to ensure that your direct mail is in line with today’s best practices? Here are 5 items that should be on every marketer’s “must do” list.
1. Focus on relevance, not volume: Marketers are moving away from commoditized, undifferentiated direct mail. They are leveraging customer demographics, purchase patterns, and preferences to increase response rates and drive revenue growth. According to a March 2014 study from Adobe, “personalization” ranked #1 on marketers’ lists of priorities this year.1
2. Sometimes less is more: By focus on creating relevance, not volume, this often means smaller, more targeted mailings. Only with personalized, relevance-based marketing can you mail less and get more.
3. Think efficiency: Better data cleansing and updating of mailing lists (eliminating UAA, or “undeliverable as addressed” mail) not only increases marketing efficiency, but it saves on postage, too.
4. Use triggered mail: Marketing effectiveness increases when you are mailing at the very time the customer is ready to buy. “Triggered” messaging does just that. Take an automotive manufacturer that sends out 1:1 mailers to alert customers when their vehicles are due for scheduled maintenance based on their last service call. Or a florist that advertises discounts to customers with family members with birthdays or anniversaries that week. Triggered mail magnifies the impact of personalization.
5. Be willing to stretch yourself: Don’t get stuck in a rut. In the same Adobe study, 54% of marketers said they believe the ideal marketer should take more risks and 45% hope to take more risks themselves. How will you know what works best for you if you don’t stretch yourself by trying something new once in awhile?
Talk to us about new ideas and new techniques for personalizing, using triggers, and increasing the relevance of your campaigns to boost your results.
1 “Digital Roadblock: Marketers Struggle to Reinvent Themselves” (Adobe, March 2014)
Follow Us on Twitter
- And there you have it. ANNOUNCING PANTONE 18-3838 ULTRA VIOLET, PANTONE® COLOR OF THE YEAR 2018.. t.co/Bd39PYxb3e
- A great read on this date whichlives in infamy. t.co/8DpnAvFyAB
- A great weekend read. The Dead-Serious Strategy Behind Google’s Silly AI Experiments. t.co/lqhKgvALVS
Follow @glintegrated on twitter.